Back in 2016-17, is our Spouse & Partner (S&P) Happy Hour. The Happy Hour is the first Thursday of every month from 6:00 – 7:30 PM at the Big Red Barn Graduate and Professional Student Center.
This Happy Hour is dedicated for our student spouses and partners as a way for you to get to know other spouses and partners and become connected to the graduate and professional student community, as well as the Cornell community as a whole. Feel free to come as a couple or fly solo! All students and partners of students are welcome. Light snacks, soda, and $1/beers.
Job Search Workshops for Spring 2017
The Students with Families Advisory Committee sponsors three workshops for Cornell graduate and professional student spouses and partners at the beginning of each semester who are looking for employment assistance.
- Searching for Local Employment | Tuesday, February 7 | 9:30 – 11:30 | Ithaca Visitors Center | 904 East Shore Drive. The Graduate School and Tompkins Workforce have teamed together to offer you valuable information about how to conduct an effective job search in the Ithaca area and resources available to support you. In addition, participants will also network with one another and be given the opportunity to talk about their own experience so that we can better meet your needs. This session is designed for spouses/partners who have secured work authorization in the United States. Light breakfast will be served. Please RSVP. The outline for the session is:
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM – Breakfast and discussion with Assistant Dean Janna Lamey, Graduate School. Come to share your opinions, experiences, and concerns in an effort to be able to better offer programs that fit your needs. Information shared will be kept confidential.
- 10:30 – 11:30 AM – How to Manage Your Job Search with Diane Bradac, Tompkins Workforce New York. Having to start a job search can be daunting, especially in a new area. This workshop will assist you to move ahead by: providing organizational tips, identifying transferable skills and planning suggestions for how and where to job search. Most importantly, learn about the resources that are available through Tompkins Workforce and how to search for a job in Ithaca, New York.
- Navigating Cornell Careers | Tuesday, February 21 | 10:00 – 11:30 | East Hill Office Building | 395 Pine Tree Road, Room 140. Are you interested in a non-academic position at Cornell University and have secured work authorization in the United States? If so, please join Ms. Sonja Baylor, Cornell Human Resources Recruiter, to discuss job search tips, application process and overall information about working at Cornell University. Please RSVP
- Cornell Career Fair for Student Spouses and Partners | RESCHEDULED to Tuesday, April 25 | 4:00 – 5:00 | Big Red Barn Graduate and Professional Student Center. Join us for the first-ever Cornell Career Fair specifically designed for our student spouses and partners. We know that many student spouses and partners have expressed interest in working at Cornell University. This Career Fair will be an opportunity for you to receive information and network directly with Human Resource professionals representing various areas across the University. In order to make this an effective experience, we need you to RSVP by Monday, April 10. Also, please plan to stay afterwards (at 5pm) to join other spouses and partners for great conversation and networking.
- Volunteering in the Community | Tuesday, March 7 | 3:30 – 4:30 | Big Red Barn Graduate and Professional Student Center. Becoming a volunteer is a great way to be engaged not only at Cornell, but in the local area. Amy Somchanhmavong from the Cornell Public Service Center will present to those who are interested in learning how to become a volunteer. Learn what the volunteering process is, common volunteering roles that you may want to pursue, and what the Cornell Public Service Center can do for you. Also, Tompkins Time Traders (T3) will provide a brief overview and information to become involved. Please RSVP
Please be sure to sign up for the Student Spouse/Partner Employment E-List. This e-list is designed for student spouse/partners seeking employment in the Ithaca area. As positions become available, job announcements are emailed to e-list members. In addition, any employment workshops/services open to student spouses and partners are shared through this list.
- To join the list, send an email to DUAL_CAREER_POSTINGS-Lemail@example.com
- Type “join” in the body of the email.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Janna Lamey at firstname.lastname@example.org