Having children impacts you and your family’s finances.  Funding during your academic program will likely become more important. If you are a self-funded student, you will need to make sure that you have financial resources for your studies and your family.  If you are a funded student, you should revisit your appointment letter to understand the financial commitment that was made to you when you started your academic program.  Some other resources include:

  • The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) provides nutritious foods, nutrition education, and referrals to community services for low-income pregnant and post-partum women and their children under five years of age. Breastfeeding support is available.
  • The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment works with students with children, regardless of whether you are a new or returning student. They can provide assistance (usually in the form of loan) for child care expenses, and are available to assist you as you finance your education. They invite you to call or email for more discussion.  You can reach them at (607) 255-5145 or
  • Cornell’s Student Child Care Grant Program helps subsidize qualified students for childcare expenses.
  • The Cornell Child Care Center (located at 150 Pleasant Grove Road – adjacent to A lot) is a proud affiliate of Child Care Aware, which provides financial assistance to students who serve/served in the armed forces.  For more information about the program please visit the Child Care Aware website or contact the Cornell Child Care Center directly at 607-255-1010.

For a collection of scholarship resources (especially for single parents), please review this resource from Best Colleges.

Comments are closed